5/01/2006

Baby's got a bad, bad name...

A few weeks ago I was cleaning out the spare bedroom which is really the storage area for all of the office crap that doesn't fit in the office-I am overwhelmed with manila folders, anyhow... I came across a big box of letters, cards, wedding/baby announcements, ect that I have kept since high school. Amongst letters from old lovers, ex-best friends, a letter from my dad from the year he died which made me cry crocodile tears and a zillion beautiful letters from my darling husband, I found a torn off crumpled piece of paper from probably my sophomore year of high school. On it is a big squiggly line down the center with girls names on the left and boys names on the right. The top of the page says "baby names". Now, I vaguely remember keeping this piece of paper and the names are in different colors and inks meaning I kept this list growing for quite a bit. I don't know why I had a list of baby names, it's not like I was having S-E-X at this age, yet alone wanted to be a mom yet(although remember on a post a few months back I said when I was 16 to my mom I was going to China to get my girl).

There are perhaps 30 names on this list(twice as many girl's names, go figure). Some of the names are purely ridiculous. I must have been watching too much of the Cosby Show and clearly too many soap opera's(I was homebound the last 3 months of my senior year with momo, chicken pocs and tonsillitis-good times although I did go to prom and graduation, I digress). You can also tell what decade it was (BIG 80's) because I had several luxury car names-that was so uber cool back then. Ilch.

On to the list. Please, have a long laugh. Here we go:

Girls: Miriah (M. Carey was just hitting the top 40 then), Simone, Kirby, Asia, India(jeez, why not give Australia a thought or even Bolivia?), Kayla(must have been from Days of our Lives), Audi, Mercedes, Porshe(see, I wasn't kidding and I didn't even spell Porsche correctly), Pilar, Epiphany (must have taken that lovely name from that Mickey Rourke movie from the 80's that I can't remember the name of, it'll come to me), Coral, Chanel, Jordan, Raven, Sade, Ariel(ah, the little mermaid had just come out, gotcha...), Ranada, Maleah. There were a few good ones, well, just two that I would consider now...Maia and Patricia after my mom.

Boys: Trevor, Malcom(Cosby show lover), Storm, Cruz(hello, soap opera network calling, they'd like their terrible tacky names back), Jennings(did I want a baby boy or a butler?), Mitchell, Foster, Brady, Tanner. Ok, the boys names aren't quite as bad, although there are a few doozies. Surprisingly I did list some "normal" boys names such as Christopher, Colin, Stephen, James, Jeffrey, and Gabriel.

Anyone remember any horrid names they used to like and think now "what the hell was I thinking?" Please share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen,

Looking at your list of names I have several people who I know or work with who have some of your High School names. My partner at works daughters name is Raven, the front desk girls sister is Asia, we all know Susanne's kid is Simone, and we have a Jordan. Who knew.
April

Kristen and David said...

Yeah, those names weren't too bad. But Epiphany-what was I thinking? Hey-I have a few people who don't like Amelie, so not everyone is going to like whatever I pick!