11/07/2007

Wait times and finally a little honesty form CCAA

The director of an adoption agency (not mine) met with some folks at CCAA and learned/were told (this is from someone's post on the fabulous RQ):

Basically, a couple of notable comments:
CCAA admitted the wait could get up to 4 years. Finally, they admit what we all have guessed. I don't think we will wait 4 years. I think we will wait just over 3. Still stinks.

All people in line will get a baby. Do not despair. However, it could be YEARS. Well, this gives me comfort actually. I just keep thinking, what if we keep waiting and waiting and nothing ever comes of it? A huge part of me has decided to do the Ignorance is Bliss thing and not allow myself to invest any more money on clothes, toys ect-just in case it doesn't happen.

The wait is getting longer because:
1) They are relaxing the one-child policy. This is a double edge sword. As we decry the one child policy as unfair and unjust, it allows more adoptions. With the relaxation of the policy, less children are entering the system. Double edged, indeed.
2) Everything we have discussed about SWI's making babies paper-ready, the fact that what we pay them does not begin to cover their $ needs to get babies ready for IA. There is no incentive to make babies IA paper ready. Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of beautiful innocent orphaned children will never have parents. Only a very very small percentage will ever be adopted. This makes me so angry. Not just for those of us waiting, but for the poor children who will never have much of a life. They deserve rich, fulfilling lives outside of the orphange walls.
3) As the population grows wealthier, domestic adoption is on the rise. This, along with the Chinese government high light on the issue of not enough females for the men, is causing the middle class and the wealthy to adopt girls. Not sure if I buy this statement. So people who can't afford to pay the fine to have more than one child abandon their girls, but people who can afford the children can adopt? Makes zero sense to me. Then again, alot of rules make no sense.
4) The Olympics are their primary focus. Everything else will take a back seat. I have never looked so forward to the Olympics, and I can't wait for them to be over. Does that mean in August 08 there will be a speedup? Will adoptions shut down for the months leading up to the Olympics? Only CCAA, God and time know the answer.
5)
China has never wanted to have more adoptions than any other country. In fact, they wanted to be lower than S. Korean, Russia, etc. They went from around 3000 to 10,000. There is a belief that they want this number to go back down and it could conceivably go back down to 3000 babies a year. If that is still higher than other countries, it could still be lower. Yikes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel entitled for the Chinese government to give me a child. Alot of IA PAP's do, and I have read their comments. I feel like this will be the biggest blessing that could be bestowed upon us. I do however feel that they need to continue to be honest with us fellow IA PAP's. I feel like every month we (and when I say we I mean adoption agencies) are told something conflicting regarding the wait and slowdown from the previous meeting with the CCAA. All we can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. As long as the worst isn't the shutdown of IA from China.

1 comment:

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Honesty is all I want... if we can't get to China for a while to get our baby then just say so... I may not like it but at least I will know... I don't blame anyone or anything... There is no way that I would back out now though... I have been waiting to long to give up... I think I will have to get a cat (much to Mike's dismay) and nuture that... hehehe