Thank you, Ms. Stahl for possibly helping to screw up the happiness of thousands of adoptive families with your insensitive, opinionated, narrow-minded journalism. In case you are wondering who Miss Stahl is and what I am talking about, Leslie Stahl is that Diane Sawyer wanna-be on 60 Minutes and the bad journalism I am referring to is the “Too Many Men” spot they aired last night. The show was trying to state how there are too many young men in China and not enough young women because of the One-Child rule. Instead of stating facts or not enough facts rather, Ms. Stahl left out so much from the big picture and made adoptive parents look like opportunistic fools and Chinese families look like uncaring, soulless jerks. The show just depicted Chinese families as wanting only boys, it forgot to mention the reasons why. It didn’t mention that annual income for a family in China is under 2 grand a year in American dollars. Most people make barely enough to eat over there. There were a very few amount of cases where girls were being stolen and sold to orphanages, and the media jerks of 60 Minutes made it seem the norm. They forgot to mention that it has been found that NO babies that have been stolen have gone to international homes. Two seconds after talking about the kidnappings, they flashed to a happy American mom holding her new baby. The journalist says “Is this your first?” The American mom replies “Oh no, this is our second Chinese adoption”. It was just edited so horribly and made my stomach churn. The low point was when Ms. Stahl said “If you don't have enough girls here, then why are you letting 12,000 being adopted worldwide with 8,000 coming to the U.S each year?" Hello you idiot, that 12,000 is such an insanely small drop in the bucket compared to the whole problem. There are estimated to be 1.5 million girls in the orphanages in China. Yes, let’s keep those 12,000 girls in the country, their lives will be much better if they are married off to an abusive husband at age 12 than to go to a loving family overseas. I do agree that the whole system they created to control population 20 years ago is very screwed up, but stopping adoptions is not going to fix it. Hopefully some of incentives to keep girls will work for the country’s sake. That doesn’t change the fact that there are still 1.5 million girls in orphanages over there. And until a family’s income goes up enough that they can afford to feed their children, baby girls will still be abandoned.
All I am saying is the media really needs to be more sensitive, but I guess no one would watch. The orphanage directors have been freaking out and not sending paperwork to the CCAA due to multiple situations. Because of this there is a lack of paper-ready children for adoption, hence the crowding in orphanages, hence the lack of care for the children. Can we cool it a little? Let the nice folks who are going to give us our babies take a breath? I refuse for you media idiots to allow you to make me feel guilty for wanting to adopt a child from China. My intentions to go bring my daughter home are pure, as are every other adoptive parent. Don’t make us look bad. Everyday I feel like this program is teetering on the edge and this media crap is just not helping!
By the way Ms. Stahl, Dorothy Hamel called from 1984, she wants her haircut back.
Thanks for listening. And forgive me for any misspellings on this post, I am writing rather quickly, because CSI Miami is coming on. I know, loser.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That *@#$() Stahl! She's a loser! Hey, I thought you didn't have cable?
Post a Comment