2/07/2007

Noah's Ark




As you know, I have been longing for a dog to create some fun and chaios in our lives ever since Quincy passed. I have been wanting a goldendoodle and David wanted nothing but another Wheaten. Over the past few months I have been going online looking at shelters hoping to find a wheaten or goldendoodle with no luck. People just don't get rid of these dogs since they are so wonderful (and expensive).
On Monday I saw a picture of a wheaten at petfinder.com (at Peggy Adams). I called that day, and even though they were closed someone anwswered the phone. She told me the wheaten was just dropped of Sunday afternoon and another couple had her on hold. I went in yesterday before they opened at 10, not knowing someone had her already, and was told she was on hold till noon. There was also 50 pit bulls, a few lab-mixes, one ugly chihuahua mix and a goldendoodle puppy. Of course, the doodle was also on hold. She was also dropped off Sunday night and they were doing a background check on a lady who wanted her. I ran some errands with my friend Heather (I asked her to meet me because I was a nervous wreck, I needed the Wheaten) and they called me at noon and told me she was mine. I raced back over at 12:01. Well, the girl who had her on hold came in at ten after and was so so so mad. I felt bad, but I just knew she was meant to be mine. Then, on the way out, I saw the goldendoodle from earlier that was also on hold. I told the girl behind the desk good luck with her and her new home-she said that she was available again-the other family didn't work out, so Heather who was with me convinced me to take both. The volunteer that owns a wheaten and said she had a good feeling about me, there must have been 5 other people waiting to take her home. She also said they don't like to adopt out more than one dog per person, but they would make an exception for me. I am sure I pissed off so many people yesterday by taking both girls, but for once I didn;t feel too guilty!

By the way, David knew I was going to look at the Wheaten while he was at an appointment. I told him she was on hold and stuck with the story until I got home. I didn't call David about both because I knew he would say "are you crazy?"! So, my plan just to let him fall in love before he could say no worked. I am a mastermind!

I named the doodle Annie, because she looks like an orphan with her crazy hair. She is 3 months old and is very rambunctious. Fergie-the wheatie, is 6 months old and is very calm and sweet. It's beyond me why anyone would give these girls up. My theory is that they were Christmas gifts for their kids and didn't realize that they take work. Whoever had them (seperate families) did crate train them . They went right into their crates at 9 pm and slept through the night without a peep. Annie knows a few commands, but Fergie knows nothing. They are a workout to walk though, they just want to play, play, play! I love them so much-how could I not take both?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! They'll make wonderful additions to the family! Don't forget to watch the Dog Whisperer-

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, K and D! They are both adorable with those rounds eyes and shaggy faces.